Wednesday 30 May 2012

Reflection on Psalm 121

February 24, 2010


This is where Psalm 121:1 took me yesterday...I hope you are challenged and enjoy this journey.

Ps121:1 - I will lift up my eyes to the hills-from whence comes my help. My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and Earth. 

I remember a friend sending me this scripture in a text a while ago. I read a note from a friend that quoted a guy who wrote about this verse and said "David found the help he was seeking in the Lord, his Creator, not in the protection of the hills, nor in man's power and wisdom."

It was new for me to think of this verse in the context of the hills of Jerusalem. I remembered a while ago I was studying the scritpture...

Ps 125:2
As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds His people both now and forevermore.

When I read it months ago, I decided to look up some info on the mountains surrounding Jerusalem as a way of understanding how it is exactly that God surrounds us. What I remember finding was that the mountains were pretty, but also a source of provision,and they provided protection from the attack of enemies. I remember because it was 3 P's.

So thinking of the verse about lifting my eyes to the hills where my help comes from, I found it neat to consider the verse in the context of the hills of Jerusalem. They were a source of protection and provision in the natural for the people. But the protection needed in this situation could not be found in the hills or people, but only in God.

So for me, I need to know that God is my provider and protector. I need my eyes to be off myself and off of anything in the hills (i.e. the world, circumstances, and people) and placed upon Him alone.

Then my mind thought of Elisha and his servant in 2 Kings 6:15-17. There was an army surrounding them ready to take Elisha's life. The servant didn't know what to do. And Elisha tells him "Do not fear for those who are with us are more than those who are with them." Then, he prays for his servants eyes to be open that he may see. Then the Lord opens his eyes and he saw the mountain full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.

Sometimes the enemy is attacking and I want to close my eyes in fear. But if I know my help comes from God, and I will open my eyes, I will see that there is strength and power to fight this battle and win because...

1 John 4:4
You are of God, little children, and have overcome them because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.

And

Romans 8:37
Yet in all these things, we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.

Then I progressed to 

Isaiah 45:22
Look to me, and be saved, All you ends of the Earth! For I am God and there is no other.

And finally (I think...)

John 6:68
Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord to whom shall we go, You have the words of eternal life.

From there I went through a few songs in my mind... 

There is no one else for me, none but Jesus, crucified to set me free, now I live to bring Him praise.

All I need is You Lord, is You Lord, all I need is You.

And All of You is more than enough for, all of me, for every thirst and every need. You satisfy me with Your love, and all I have in You is more than enough. (Which ironically I had been playing and singing last week and it just had me in tears....)

When it comes back to the starting point Ps 121:1 - I lift my eyes to the hills from whence comes my help. My help comes from the Lord. Where else can I look? What else will protect me, provide for me, and show me such wonderful beauty. It is God alone, there is no other. He surrounds me with songs of deliverance. 

Ps 32:7 - You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.

Deliverance will not come from the natural (like the mountains that protected Jerusalem.) It will come through God's supernatural power working in our lives to change us from the inside out. But first, we have to lift up our eyes off ourselves and our circumstances and place them upon the only one who can bring us the protection, provision, and freedom that we need. He is the one with the words of life. 

So where are you looking for your help? Are you looking at the natural protection and provision of the world and people or are you looking at the supernatural deliverance, protection, provision, and freedom that can only be found in Christ alone? Where does your help come from? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment